6.27.2012

for the garden

I wander the rows, inspecting each plant carefully. Many varieties of food plants and flowers sit on the large metal benches; everything from jalapeno peppers to artichokes-- from Daisies to Digitalis: more commonly known as Foxglove. Finding just the right tomato plant, I place it in the cart, along with pepper plants, thyme, basil, petunias, and labelia.

Passing other plants, I stop and smell the pot of roses. Ignoring the price tag, I admire the beauty. Even without purchasing it, I can still enjoy the flowers, and the sight the small green tomato plants-- I can still revel in the amazing growth of the herbs, and the musty dirt smell that wafts to my nose.

----

This year, for the first time since  moving to Arizona, we are planting a garden. Tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, squash, and hopefully cucumbers, lettuce, and spinach. I have always loved planting things; the thought of giving something the chance to grow is wonderful... how much more wonderful that God makes them grow! We could plant, and water, and nurture plants until we are blue in the face; but without God's plan, and providence, it wouldn't grow.

God is so good. To give us plants that not only produce food, but are beautiful and peace-bringing. There is something peaceful about flowers. To look out, and see happy blue, white, red, and purple flowers blooming makes this little plot of earth a little brighter.

So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. --1 Corinthians 3:7 
Are you planting a garden this year

xo,
Mikailah 

ps-new design--again. yay, or nay? also, I designed (of a sort...) my Mom's blog! go take a peek

9 comments:

  1. There's this quote from Sherlock Holmes that I love... about flowers being the proof of Divine Providence, because they're the extras. They're not necessary for our survival, but "only" add to the beauty of our lives.

    I did plant some marigolds this summer, but I have yet to see them blossom. It could be that it's not meant to be this year. :(

    God bless you, Mikailah! It's always a pleasure to visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i planted a garden this year, and so far, the tomatoes, squash and cukes are doing well. and the rest? well, the rabbits and mice are certainly well fed. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We usually have a great garden... it's HUGE! Unfortunately, this year has not been good for our plants. It has been extremely hot.
    The good news is that our tomato plants have survived so I can still make salsa. Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful flowers, Mikailah, and I love your new blog design.

    May the Lord Jesus bless you abundantly!

    In His love,
    ~Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mikaialah,
    I had such a fun time with you and the girls yesterday. We will have a wonderful time "designing" our pots and beds.. Your pictures are gorgeous.

    I love you,

    Mamsie xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome pics! And yes, we're busy with our garden & tons of plants & all the watering that we have to do. :P Oh well, they're beautiful and we're so blessed! Also, love your new design! ;)
    -Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your new blog design, Mikailah! And your garden makes me smile, I sure do hope it grows well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pictures of the flowers you took are Beautiful!!

    btw I love your new blog design Mikailah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pictures. I feel so bad for not answering you. I left you a note at http://savoriesoflife.blogspot.com/2011/05/confrence-coming-up-in-june.html?showComment=1341230988131#c5176112411813106362

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting, and sharing some love. ♥