11.12.2012

all at once, winter came

The weather took a drastic change over the weekend, as a cold front came in. On Thursday it was close to 65* and sunny. Friday and Saturday were cold, rainy and snowy, bringing a low of 8* last night, sweaters, slippers all day long and hot coffee. Today the sky is clear and while most of the snow is gone, there are still remnants of snow on the ground, a chill in the air, and the memory that winter is coming to stay--very soon.

There is something beautiful about winter. To some, the thought of getting up before the sun and going to take care of the animals in the snow and cold isn't appealing at all, and actually more than once I'd have been very glad to stay in bed. But rising before the sun in the winter is pleasant, for the most part, actually. The sun rises so early in the summer-time that I'm never up to see the first slivers of light breaking over the mountain top, and then bathing the valley in radiance and warmth; but in the winter, ah. Even though it is cold, and the days are shorter and the mornings dark, your eyes behold the sun rising over the mountains like a beacon of promise and hope. You can stand in the cold shivering, until the first rays of light spread over you, and even though there isn't much warmth in the sun, it warms you. Deeply. In your heart.

In short, I love winter. And I think it is making an early appearance this year. The wind holds a certain chilling degree to it, and the sun holds no warmth at all. We wear slippers all day, drink tea morning, noon, and night, and huddle around the fire reading. In fact, I know it has made an early appearance.

Because, all at once, two days ago in a gust of wind, winter came.

xo, Mikailah

17 comments:

  1. love this! beautiful photos and your words are pure poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This took my breath away... wow...I'm enjoying a winter that mingles with late-turning foliage here in Indiana. Where are you from? xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, thanks girl. =) You answered my question! I was curious because I love Arizona and this looked a lot like northern Arizona to me. (fist-pump) xo

      Delete
  3. Love this post, Mikailah! :D The photos are wonderful, and your words are like magic.

    Also, don't worry about the avocado. ;) If you use a food processor to make the mousse, I can guarantee that you won't taste it at all. (That or just add some more honey or cocoa powder to your liking. Can't go wrong with that!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mm, yes, we just got our first taste of cold weather, too. I'm not a huge fan of winter -- I will miss autumn immensely. Still, this was beautiful, M. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is an awesome post Mikailah! :) Here in Texas it's 50 degrees right now as the lowest, but I think this week it will be getting cooler. :) Hopefully... :D

    Lots of Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly...I would've said the same thing, but my sister beat me ;) xx

      Delete
    2. Oh, wow. You two are sisters? Totally didn't know that. ;)

      And thank you for your kind words, friends! They make my day.

      ::hugs!::

      Delete
  6. goshness- i'm dying here in tucson and it hasn't even snowed. summer of 2013, i need you to hurry up.

    gorgeous pictures!

    xo. rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited about the snow... I can't wait to go sledding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah... that gentle falling of snow stirs my heart... gives me that longing for the beauty of winter! How delightful it must be, the rapid approaching of winter. ;) Though we are still in flip-flops down here, I'll pretend its cold and share some hot apple cider with you. *smiles*

    Blessings,
    ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  9. la, I wish we got snow here! I miss it so much. beautiful pictures girl!
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is lovely! And you have snow... I am so envious! My philosophy has always been if one must have winter, one must have snow. Snow makes everything all worth it.

    Really, I wish I could take a peek at a day in your life... it sounds so homey.
    --

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post! The snow covering the ground, the window, the goat (didn't know you had one!)and our honeysuckle is still green too! The second goat picture after that, just like the angle, the chicken and that teapot is awesome!

    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful shots!! You live in such a gorgeous place. :) love your blog design btw.

    -Carli

    ReplyDelete
  13. These pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting, and sharing some love. ♥