12.29.2012

Christmas + a New Year


 We had a beautifully blessed Christmas--rather a quiet one; just my family and I in our mountain home. We slept in on Christmas morning, then relaxed pretty much all day, played games, laughed heaps, ate ham sandwiches (a Christmas tradition), drank tea, opened gifts, and over-all enjoyed the day celebrating Christ's birth.

This Christmas was different. I don't know how, and I can't explain it, but it was definitely different. There was still joy, and happiness, but it was somewhat subdued; it wasn't the impatient waiting for gifts, and the frantic opening like it has been in past years, and although I enjoy and love my gifts, the day wasn't completely wrapped up (ha, that expression fits perfectly, eh?) in receiving gifts.

Perhaps it was the knowledge that so many people were hurting on Christmas day; after the tragedy in Connecticut, it was impossible to forget the pain so many people were going through. And I don't want to forget. I don't want to live in sorrow, but I want to understand, feel and be able to truly grieve with those suffering. I've never been one who expresses my feelings well, but this... it made me see how special moments are. How special life is, and how much people truly mean to me.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The remainder of the week has been quiet; with the usual tid-bits of cleaning, playing games, taking pictures of random snow-falls, laughing in the cold air, and cuddling by the wood-stove with a good book, and my (new) MP3 player, listening to Josh Groban, and simply enjoying the chance I have to live. As this quote says, living is the greatest thing in the world. We take it for granted, because it is just something we've always done, but it only takes a moment for the gift of life to be taken away.

This new year, I want to truly live. To live passionately, fully, heartily, lovingly. It is so important to make the most of the time we have--we think "oh, we're young. We'll have forever." but a life time isn't as long as it seems. It only takes a moment for forever to be in the past.

Have a Happy New Year, friends! A new year; a new set of numbers. Today will only be here once--and then it's gone forever. Make the most of it, y'all. I'm going to.

13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures! How do you size them on blogger?

    Your words are so lovely and deep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Christmas was the same kind of different as yours... with not so much of a rush for presents, but just enjoying all the family and things that we have. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture with the front door and the one of your cat. It makes me want to pet it. :D

    My goal for 2013 is to get off the computer and, like you said, enjoy life. :P

    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so lovely, Mikailah dear!!! Our Christmases sounded very much alike - drinking tea, laughing lots, sitting by the fire, and sleeping in...I think maybe perhaps 'twas different because we're growing up? But it was lovely all the same.

    Much love and many blessings,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the pics. Happy new year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is beautiful, Mikailah! so deep, and real, and beautiful. :)

    happy new year to you!

    -ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this Mikailah! Our Christmas felt a little different too (and not just because we were sick). I think it's a part of growing up.
    -Mary Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Mikailah. Christmas felt a little different for me too.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry [late] Christmas!!! This post was lovely and I love your home. I feel like each post I read, I am slowly getting the picture puzzle of your home put together. And I like that- you aren't afraid of who you are or where you come from. Above a lot of things, I cherish that in a person.
    --

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so right, Mikailah! Loved this post!

    Miss Caroline


    http://dream--spinner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm, we traveled to New Mexico to visit my grandparents and out the window I saw lots of landscape that looked just like the land around your house. My eyes were fairly glued to the window for quite a lot of teh 14 hour trip!
    And, again, I gotta agree with Gabby; after I read your posts I want to stop what I'm doing and go live my life.(Her posts inflict the same desire too! I think you're in cahoots!) Also, you've really helped change my definition of "Photogogenic" and the way I photography things.
    Thanks!(For being you)

    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  12. These pictures are beautiful and your words, too!

    I wish you a happy new year and all the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. precious pictures!
    here in portugal it doesn't snow, so it makes it for me even more magical!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting, and sharing some love. ♥