12.12.2012

twelve-twelve-twelve




twelve twelve twelve. 

I'm one of those nostalgic people. I mean, really. I have letters that were given to me years ago--from people I don't even keep in touch with any more. I keep scraps of paper that remind me of times past, and gifts that i don't even use any more, but just have. Don't get me wrong. I don't hoard anything. Well, photographs and memories, but besides that, nope. But I do keep things that remind me of memories that may have been pushed to the back of my mind. And I've always had a nostalgia for same day/month/year days. And guess what? Today is 12.12.12.

The last repetitive date I {and our generation} will ever see. 

I remember growing up I would always like those days--I would always journal on those days to document this momentous time in history. And to my 10 year old brain, it was momentous, strange and fascinating. And it still is, in a way. Twelve-twelve-twelve-twelve-twelve-twelve. If we caught that moment {which, I didn't. I missed the hour/minute/second twelves.}, it is special. I couldn't say why. But who can explain the feelings of nostalgia? 

Anyway, enough rambling. The sun is shining here, a high of 40* today, with snow predicted all weekend. I've been working on crocheting slippers, writing in my journal, learning Spanish {or attempting to}, drinking tea, taking pictures and soaking in sunshine. It is good to be alive.

I've also determined to be more myself on here. I post my thoughts, my pictures, but my personality doesn't really come through. I'm not stiff and formal in real life {not at all. ahem.}, so I'm not pretending any more. I may make this resolution over and over, but for now, I mean it, and I'm going to live it. 


xo,
mikailah

10 comments:

  1. I'm nostalgic too. I save letters from people who I don't keep in much contact with. :)
    Crocheting slippers sounds lovely. I knit and seem to knit in the winter mostly when the weather is cool and sitting inside making something with my hands seems like a fun and relaxing occupation, and helps to keep me out of the cold.
    I'm learning Spanish too! But today I worked on my French. :)

    Excited for your new outlook on the way you write. I loved how you wrote before but being real is good too because i feel it engages the reader in a special way. :)

    Blessings!

    -Madi

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this. I've always liked these type of days too. sadly, I missed the minute like I wanted too, but oh well. I can say I was alive that day. good luck on your resolution! it'll be refreshing to see a blogger who is themselves one hundred percent! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Mikailah! :) I save a lot of sentimental stuff, too (I have an entire box of cards I've collected over the years!!). It's nice to go back and take a look at them every once in a while and remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 12-12-12 my dear! :) I'm so blessed to know you, you're a wonderful friend! <3

    Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was awesome. your writing gets better and better, with every post you write. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. " The sun is shining here, a high of 40* today, with snow predicted all weekend. I've been working on crocheting slippers, writing in my journal, learning Spanish {or attempting to}, drinking tea, taking pictures and soaking in sunshine. It is good to be alive."

    I love this piece of writing. :) have a wonderful weekend! I'm jealous of that snow. and i love your sun pictures<3 beautiful/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to keep things too, I am such a sentimentalist! I keep the funniest things! =D
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ach, I know what you mean. It made me kinda sad to know that this was the last time I'd see a date with all the numbers the same.

    Love this!
    --

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hoorah for nostalgia! I've found that moving six times in three years puts a damper on sentimental hoarding, but that's what memories are for, no?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, I know what you mean about bringing more of your personality out when you post! Somedays the words come out great, witty or thoughtful. Other days...I just can't express what I want to say! Or it comes at as " I took these in the backyard, love the colors, it was a beautiful day, I hope you like them/...etc. Doesn't sound like me at all. =O
    I think you'll get the hang of it though, I can see it in your writings. =)

    ~Jenny

    P.s. I echo Soph's comment!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting, and sharing some love. ♥