1.23.2013

things that say a lot

"Things that say a lot about people:
the way in which they treat the waiter/waitress
how they feel about the weather
whether they dog-ear pages or highlight in books
fingernails
and hands in general
their preferred creative outlet 
how much they dread/enjoy talking on the phone
whether or not they drink coffee
if they ever forget to eat
how honest they are with themselves (and others)
if they correct your grammar 
and whether or not they get nervous before haircuts."

i. I always try to treat the waiter (or waitress) with friendly ease, and respect. They have a hard job, and I always think if I was a waiter, I'd want people to be patient, relaxed + friendly with me, so I try to be with them. I don't have the talent for striking up a conversation with just anyone about anything (like my dad does), but I smile, and speak cheerfully and say "thank you" more than I need to.

ii. I hold everyday in fondness, rain or shine, but I love rainy, cloudy, rain-kissed days the best. There is nothing more cozy to me than curling up with a good book, a mug of tea and my journal in our window-seat and watching the rain pouring down. In Arizona, however, we get a lot of sunshine, and almost no cloudy-overcast days, so I've had to grow fond of sunshine and warmth as well.

iii. I use to dog-ear pages all the time--in books that usually weren't mine--but I've become far to picky about it. I read so many books, and so fast, but I usually just shut the book without a bookmark, then find my place again. I need to stop being so particular though, because a marked/highlighted book is sometime I love. My bible, on the other hand, is very marked up and highlighted and written in, and I love it.

iv. My fingernails are usually short. Very short, because I play violin and guitar, and I can't have long nails for that. Plus, I can't stand my nails long, because they grow funny. They do grow very fast though, so sometimes they are a little longer than I like. They're usually clean... not painted--unless with clear--but occasionally I will paint them blue, or some color like that.

v. My hands are large. I have extremely long fingers, wide hands, big thumbs and my other fingers are smaller. The tops are usually a little rough (particularly in the winter) from washing dishes, and being outside. I have a large reach on the piano, and my hands are usually toasty warm. My left-hand fingertips have calluses from playing guitar and my right hand usually has a cut or scratch from a knife, or the cat's playful claws. I always have a brown hairband on my right wrist, as well as a white silicone "purity--1Timothy 4:12" bracelet that I've worn for 3 years. I very rarely wear other bracelets.

vi. My preferred creative outlet(s) are either photography, writing, or playing music. My mind usually comes alive at night (when I'm suppose to be in bed), and that is when my most heart-felt and creative scribblings are put in my journal. Photography is more of a spur of the moment thing, and music is all throughout the day.

vii. I've never enjoyed talking on the phone... not even to people I know very well. I'd much prefer a face-to-face conversation, or a chat session on the computer. I use to be terrified of talking on the phone--especially to strangers--because you can't see their faces, and sometimes it is hard to understand them.

viii. I've always liked coffee. It isn't a daily thing in our house (except on the weekends, when my dad is home), but if there is coffee, I drink it. I like it with a little bit of cream, and the tiniest bit of sugar. Oh, and the stronger the better. However, I'm sorry to say, I've never been to Starbucks. *shock* Herbal tea is something I drink on a daily basis, however.

ix. I don't normally forget to eat. Sometimes I'll go from breakfast to dinner without eating a meal, but I much prefer to snack a little throughout the day. I usually eat very quickly, because who wants to be eating, when there are other things to do?

x. I've never been good at expressing my feelings to others (especially face-to-face), and it easier to just say "good!" when they ask you how you are. I'm honest with my family, and close friends, but while not dishonest with those I don't know well, I don't share much personal information. I always try to be honest with myself--there are times, though, particularly when I'm lonely, that I create a fantasy world of "someday" and "tomorrow", instead of looking realistically at the situation. I usually am most honest with myself lying in bed at night, thinking.

xi. I've never been much of a grammar correcter. I mentally correct grammar all the time, but never out-loud. I correct other's grammar in my head, but my speech is usually a little "hill-billy" tinted.

xii. Haircuts never scare me. I've never had my hair really cut, though, so maybe it doesn't count. I've had trims, and a few times when my hair has been cut shorter, but nothing like layers, or different styles. I usually get scared after the haircut/trim, when I go to look at it, because I like my hair uniform. ;)

--

inspired by this person via these people. katie // lillian

16 comments:

  1. Great post, I enjoyed it! And fabulous photos!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this. such lovely photos, and your words are so heart-felt and real. :)

    -ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a neat post :) learned a little bit more about you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been to Starbucks but once and I really don't get the whole concept. My mama and brother makes better coffee so I stick around home for theirs in the mornings :) Just saying...

    And number 10? Can I just say we are twins? Ahem.
    --

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're amazing Mikailah. I loved this!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohmygoodness we're so much alike :)) I love rainy days too. It inspires me to write or sit and read and makes school seem not as daunting when I have a cozy day in which to accomplish it. Also, I play guitar too, so my nails usually stay short. AND, I get creative at night too, when I'm supposed to be fast asleep. Ha! I have sudden bursts of inspiration and scramble for my notebook so I can jot down my thoughts. LOVED reading this post. Also, I received your e-mail and hope to reply soon. :))

    Blessings, friend!

    ~Madi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I totally agree on number 10. And basically all the others! Like oh my word, I just LOATHE talking on the phone! I mean, I can do it (when i'm forced, haha) but it's just very awkward. :P Anywho, I always love learning a bit more about people and realizing that there really are a lot like me :). Have a great day! And thanks for the comment! Love you!
    ~Lily~

    ReplyDelete
  8. okay I loved this. we are very much alike:)

    I have just started to dog-ear pages when I read...mainly because I'm too lazy to find a bookmark though;) haha
    and goodness yes, short finger nails for violin! I always have short nails! having long nails and playing violin is just terrible, does not work! blahh! ;)

    your photography is splendid and I love it!:) I see you shoot with a Nikon D3100? that's one of the cameras I am looking into (I have been doing a bunch of research on cameras & all that jazz because I am looking into buying one soon:)! is it an easy camera to get the hang of for beginners (like me haha)?
    but the pictures, they are fabulous:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I WUV this post a wot. I lovelovelove this. I can't stop saying that. I wish Florida could get some real winter weather!

    xoxo || i'm having a book swap on my blog, check it out!

    http://vanillastudies.blogspot.com/2013/01/where-ive-been-where-im-going.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let's just say this: Your pictures. I'm jealous. HOW DO YOU TAKE PICTURES OF BOKEH? I only succeeded once and that was probably by sheer luck. xD

    I love rain; I totally agree with you.
    My fingernails are short because I play violin too, but a lot of the times I forget...oops...
    And I actually enjoy haircuts/trims. It gives a different look.

    Smile,
    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belle, ma belle fille!
    Marmie~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. THE FROSTED TRAMPOLINE PICTURE.... I love it. A lot. Also, i love this post. A lot. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo! I love the frost! And all your thing.....I am the same in almost every one of those things....minus the talking on the phone....I love it. =D But I love video chat more. =D
    I hope you are having a wonderful week Mikailah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful words, Mikailah. Those are definitely things that say a lot about a person.

    The hands one means a lot to me. My hands are definitely callused from washing dishes, working outdoors, and working at the nursing home. Yet, the calluses mean a lot to me because they remind me of the beautiful experiences I've had.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is just darling {like you ;)}. I keep my fingernails short to because of my extraordinary violin playing {NOT! even after playing for how many eight odd years *cough, cough*}. love ya, dearheart! xoxo | grace

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful + inspiring! My blog needed something cheerful like this, so I hope you don't mind that I copied you! =/

    http://simplyacountrygirl.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-things-that-say-lot-1.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting, and sharing some love. ♥