1.02.2013

this is my year in review



















{Some forgotten frames of 2012}

Twenty-twelve was an amazing year, altogether. Many new things happened, I learned much, I grew, I changed, and I am so thankful. Every experience I've gone through has helped shape me into what I am, right now, in this new year. It has been a hard year, too. I've struggled with who I am, why I am who I am, what I do, and what I want to do with my life. I've cried many times, asked God "why?", and at times felt so alone. Each year, we grow. Our experiences sometimes all blur together, and we forget past lessons, and mistakes that have helped us grow, and become who we are. 2012 was an amazing year. Besides all of the hard-ships, there has been many joyful tears, much laughter, new births in the family, many hours spent studying, learning Spanish (which is still a work in progress), and so many things... too many to count. I will miss 2012. It had many mile-stones for me, and I don't ever want to forget where I came from, where I'm going, and why I'm going there. Ever.
So, friends, a quick recap on my year. A year filled with blessings, joy, tears, growth, excitement, new experiences and so much more. :)

{Early} Winter of 2012: My family went skiing many, many times, and praise the Lord, no one was injured. This has become a huge part of our winter, and we've been blessed to have a ski resort only 30 minutes away. (Yes, we live in Arizona.) I shed many tears early this year, asking God "why". For so many different reasons. I've asked Him over and over for a certain thing, but finally, I had to let it go. I realized that He has the perfect plan for me, and He cannot accomplish it, if I'm tugging on the reigns. I also struggled with who I was. Probably aggravated by the whole "blogging cliche" thing. Also, we built raised beds, and planted a "garden" for the first time since moving to Arizona.

Spring || 2012: We got more chickens for our brood, after 4 of our 6 chickens were murdered (*sniff*) in the Fall of 2011 when we were in Ohio for a month. I started running... and stopped running. Hem. I took pictures of everything with my little Canon point-and-shoot, and was really starting to get the hang of this blogging thing.

Summer/Fall 2012: I bought a new camera. A Nikon D3100... this was such a huge blessing to me; so much excitement, I'm telling you. I don't think I've ever had a more constant friend. I started realizing how truly beautiful life was, and changed my blog name from "Maid For Him" to "finding beauty". My family also took a trip back to Ohio for a month, and saw some beautiful fall scenery, visited family and had a nice relaxing break from the internet and phone for a while. I actually had the chance to visit a few of my Mom's childhood friends, and we explored a {very} old house. I even celebrated my sixteenth birthday in Ohio. We stopped at the "Arch" in St Louis, enjoyed all the lakes, and streams that are numerous back East, and returned to Arizona in time to enjoy Fall for a second time. We also canned much blackberry jam, celebrated Thanksgiving with some dear friends, and took many fall walks.

Winter 2012: This winter has been blessed. We've been celebrating the simple things, and enjoying today. It has been a season of rest, in spite of all the bustle surrounding Christmas. I've enjoyed many moments with family, laughed until my stomach hurt with my sisters, and I realize I've grown so much. I had my first paid photo-shoot (which I'll be sharing, soon), and have been saving up for a new  camera lens. 2012 has been an amazing year--but every year we live is amazing, isn't it? I'm so blessed. And throughout the year, I've become more comfortable with self-portraits, being able to accept me, for who I am. (Because, I'm the person behind the camera. Not in front. NOT in front.) New growth, new changes, new experiences, new people. My, how we change.

Well, here's to 2013! I wish you all a very blessed year, filled with joy, laughter, learning experiences, tears, thankfulness, contentedness and the love of those around you. Happy twenty-thirteen!

Much love,
mikailah

p.s. Seriously, if y'all read all that, you are amazing.

13 comments:

  1. Mikailah... I smile as I read your words... they reflect mine as well and bless me to know that I am not alone in my walk with Christ. That I'm not the only one who struggles, cries tears of hurt, rejoices in the goodness in the Lord, and embraces the beauty of life. This year has indeed held so many lessons... I love just sitting down and pondering on it all. {And this year has held the blooming of a cherished friendship with a beautiful young lady... *hugs* ;) }

    2013. Only the Lord knows what it holds... may we continue to seek Him with all of our heart!

    ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is beautiful, Mikailah! i love the simplicity (yet utter gorgeousness) of these photos. :) happy new year!

    -ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Mikailah! I loved reading this. Year in review posts are so fun because they really show how much can happen to a person and how they grow. My favorite pictures are pictures 10 and 11 they're so beautiful and serene. Also I noticed that you like Lamplighter books! Which ones are your favorite? I think you'd love Ishmael if you read it. I just got another lamplighter book for Christmas, and I dream of going to their guild to learn acting. :))

    Thank you for your comment on my blog recently, it made me smile and was really very sweet.
    ((hugs!)) hope 2013 brings you much growth in Christ, joy, laughter, and exciting opportunities to do what you love.

    Blessings!

    -Madi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read it all... as well as all the titles of the books in the third picture. I am so glad you have had such a beautiful, memorable year! It's nice to know that something this good can never quite be forgotten, and that it will be so easy to smile at and remember years to come.

    Okay, nerd girl question... have you read "The Wide, Wide World" that is in your picture, and do you like it?
    Thanks, dearie, and happy new year!
    --

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading about the amazing things that God can do in only one year! :) I can tell you've had an amazing year! Here's to another. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an awesome year! I hope I get my dream camera this year- need to start saving up for that Nikon D5100, and hope I'll make a lot of money from my jewelry business. I need to start making some new pieces like- now. Hopefully your 2013 will be even more magical!

    Written with pen-sealed kisses, dreams, and turtles; Meena (the randomest girl you will ever meet! :P)

    http://vanillastudies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are truly beautiful!! And you have a lovely talent for words. Happy New Year!!
    <3 Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, I'm somewhere in the "who am I? question, though I think near the end, like you did, I'm starting to get the hang of "this blogging thing"!
    Ah yes, I hope to buy a new camera rather soonish too!
    That tree in your front yard is awesome! (the one to the right)
    I like: The peacock, trees, coffee mug, guitar and window reflection especially. =)
    Happy New year!

    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sheep! It's so cute! Your snow pictures are wonderful too. Hmmm, yes, there are so many people out there who simply copy other people's blogs. It's great to take inspiration from other people, but if every blog were the same, it would be so very annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the picture of all your old books. They were from Lamplighter right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a beautiful post (and pictures), my dear. It was nice to get a glimpse of your 2012... :) and happy 2013 to you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAPPY 2013!!! I have really enjoyed each and every one of your posts this past year... and yes you really have the hang of the blogging thing... you are such a beautiful person, inside and out, (love the new profile pic btw). God bless you richly in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, btw, I got a Liebseter award and I awarded you; however, I seem to remember reading a while ago that you had already been awarded several times, so you have no obligation whatsoever to answer any silly questions. =)
    But I wanted to let you know anyway.
    http://leafdancephoto.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebester-awards.html

    xx

    `Jenny

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting, and sharing some love. ♥