2.02.2013

as of late, v.2


Seeing: the sun shining over the golden yellow weeds, recently worked on calligraphy, a set of 56-year-old encyclopedias, a new 35mm camera lens (squeal), muffin pans full of buttons in the craft room, and weeds the color of the sunshine with the appearance of a half-moon.

Hearing: random thumps from the kitchen, the vacuum cleaner running, the whirring of the fans on the computer, "Bring Him Home" by the Piano Guys, the click of the key-board keys, and the soft gusts of wind outside.

Smelling: a house with the scent of spring, cinnamon and nutmeg, slightly dusty and well-loved old books, clean wet hair, and pine needles.

Tasting: German pancakes (for breakfast), juicy + delicious oranges, mint tea, coffee with thick cream + sugar, fresh lemons in a glass of well water, and the wild-free taste of the wind in the West.

Feeling: so extremely amazed that January is over (hello, February!), slightly sad as I realize that the older I get, the faster days fly; and sososo blessed, just because. I am blessed, although I don't always realize it, and appreciate it.

Some days seemed to drag, I remember, as I look back to the past 3 or so years, but as I get older, and time gets more and more precious, I realize that it is flying. There is no way to describe this feeling, really. It is almost like present-day nostalgia, because even though I treasure these days, and hold them with delicate fingers, they shatter every night at 12:00, never to be found again. Each day is pretty much like the next, but it's not.

Everyday the date changes, people change, life changes. We look forward to things, with deep longing and pleasure, but the day comes and goes--all the faster, I think, for the anticipation-- and it's over, and all we have are the memories, and photographs and thoughts left. So I'm really learning to truly treasure these days, and hold them with more respect, keeping in mind that I'm not entitled to any of this. Life is a gift--a beautiful gift, and I want to enjoy it, love it, and make the most of it, because every moment has the potential to be special; something that we'll remember forever.

--

15 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. And your pictures are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really good; you words bring such a wonderful perspective to the treasure of life! Also, your lists are so vivid. And enjoy your new 35mm!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing: Beautiful pictures.
    Reading: Beautiful words.

    Life IS a gift. We should also feel sososo blessed just to be here on this world.

    Love,
    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so extremely beautiful. your words are so raw & gorgeous. and your pictures... speechless. have fun with that 35mm lens! ;)

    -ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. mm, yes. this made me smile. so good, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mikailah, I loved this. Sometimes I feel so rushed and stressed with school... a lot of times, actually. I really just need to slow down, and take each day as it comes. Thanks so much for this post. :)

    Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pictures... girl!!! My goodness- you are so creative! The last one is so pretty. I mean, really lovely. For the record, I am sooo happy February is here too- goodbye January. And *coughs* been drinking coffee and eating oranges like a nut around here too...

    Lovely, dear!
    --

    ReplyDelete
  8. The create block picture.... ohymgosh. I love it!!!! I love it all really.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how creative your pictures are. In a good way!!! I promise! They're so beautiful...love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Lily!! They are always so amazing and beautiful, like Mikailah herself!

      Delete
    2. Aw, thank you girls!! You are so sweet. <3 :)

      Delete
  10. Great pictures!!!

    P.S. I'm hosting my 100 followers giveaway!
    http://www.alifeworthliving-katherine.blogspot.com/2013/02/my-100-followers-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that last shot! And yay for a new lens! WOO!

    http://www.meredithsledgeblog.com

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting, and sharing some love. ♥