3.27.2013

light & shadow

The shadows are just as important as the light. Jane Eyre--Charlotte Brontë 

Natural light is one of my favorite things. It paints pictures on wooden floors, and creates designs on carpets. It illuminates fingers in the soft glow of the sun, creates rainbows once in a while, and highlights each strand of hair until it appears to be on fire. It casts whimsical appearances on anything that lands in the range of it's touch and inspires those who will take the time to notice it. 

Light dances across the living room floor in the morning until it almost reaches the dining room, then it disappears  only to greet the dining room table in the afternoon, caressing piles of paper, stray pencils and empty tea cups that have been placed there throughout the day. Puddles of sun on the floor in the morning make me want to curl up in the fragment of sun, like a cat, and drink tea, or sit and immerse myself in the light and warmth. (I've never known a cat to drink tea, however, curled up in the sun.)

I love natural light. Arizona may be dead, brown, hot and dry in the Spring, but the thing that I never get tired of is the never ending changing pattern on the hard-wood kitchen floor, living room carpet and dining room table. Always changing, always different; as long as the sun shines, which is practically always. It's a little thing. Probably insignificant to many, but I love it. 

xo,
mikailah

19 comments:

  1. Your description of light is perfect. Amazing. Awe inspiring. Your pictures are stunning. #2....wow. That light.
    Loved this post dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First: amazing pictures! They're so relaxing to look at.
    Second: I adore that Jane Eyre quote so much. <3
    Third: Gorgeous words that make me feel nostalgic about things that haven't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay #1 so that picture of your violin is total amazingness/awesomeness (well, all the pictures are:)
    okay #2 I loveeee natural light. i'm so thankful for it.
    okay #3 that quote. ah yes. you have you read jane eyre right? it's sooo gooooddd! it is probably one of mah fave books:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. JANE EYRE. DON'T GET ME STARTED. it's one of my favorite books evah. ;)

      Delete
  4. AHH, JANE EYRE REFERENCE. i squealed a little. also, these shots are amazing (espesh the second one).

    ReplyDelete
  5. that Jane Eyre quote is my FAVOURITE.

    and your photos... gosh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jane.eyre. gahhh, your awesomeness level just increased by 55% for using that quote. love the third photo. absolutely gorg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, just a moment back I was searching for the information on the same topic and now I am here. So much information, really well executed blog. This is really informative and I will for sure refer my friends the same. Thanks………hard wooden floors

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely lovely, m'dear. and the sunlight + violin + your always loverly words made my soul swoon. xx | grace

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful, as always. you have such a beautiful, simple way with words. nothing flashy, just real, heartfelt and true. stunning.
    -alison<3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Natural light is my favorite, and you described it oh SO well. Absolutely beautiful. LOVE.

    Blessings!

    ~Madi

    ReplyDelete
  11. you're words described it perfectly :) beautiful pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your words and pictures. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your words, descriptions, and pictures are perfect :)
    Love all your posts, and you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh the part about your cat and tea made me laugh! =D hehe..

    "It's a little thing. Probably insignificant to many, but I love it."

    I am totally with ya' there; I seem to always be noticing things that other people only see with "oh, its water on the pavement i've seen that before its nothing special" but I see light shimmering, reflections in puddles and the sun sparkling off the edges.
    I seriously wonder how people stop seeing those small, little joys. 's good thing people like you are here to remind us that it's still there, whether we see it or not.

    You've got a good perspecive on life, it's rather contagious too. ;)

    xx ~Jenny

    P.s. I like your new header picture; shadows on carpet perfectly shows the kind of beauty you find.

    P.p.s. I also like that quote by Charles De Lint, it also expresses your blog to a "T".

    P.p.p.s I also ... jk. ;D




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, thanks, Jenny! ;) your comments always make me smile and/or laugh. ;) yes, it's a shame more people don't take the time to notice the little things; sometimes they are the most special. :)

      and thanks girl! ;) i've always liked that quote. and shadows on carpet. and i love all your postscripts. ;) you're so sweet. <3

      Delete
  15. Oh, and that violin picture with the rainbow sunflare is awesome, the rim lighting on your hand, isn't that cool?! I've often enjoyed that...and the shadows, so simple- and yet convey so much to the viewer.

    xx ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting, and sharing some love. ♥