3.07.2013

the littles

Being the youngest of nine children, I got used to noise at an early age. It was nothing to hear 5 people talking at once in a single conversation, little feet pattering across the floor, or the stomps of that one person who set their feet down deliberately with every step; but since I am the youngest, as I got older, the noise diminished as my siblings grew up, moved away and the childish laughter was exchanged for quiet conversations and even more often, silent dreamy looks being directed out the window. 

I got used to silence; but every few months or so, that all changes. Little feet once again patter on the floor, tiny smudged hands grab my pant leg or my hand and drag me along to show me 'treasures', cheerios are once again spilled on the floor and the animals make themselves scarce. (It seems they too are used to silence.) Laughter and childish squeals of glee are as common floating in the air as the particles of dust that the sunlight reveals. Our rambling house at the base of the mountain becomes a different place when the littles come to visit. 

It isn't an unwelcome change--in fact, quite the opposite. It is possible for a house to be too quiet, and at times it needs these precious little people to come in and liven the place up with their laughter, remind the occupants that it's okay for a house to look lived in & loved, and remind those who have forgotten of the joys and challenges that comes with being a parent, or an older sibling, for that matter. No, I wouldn't call the joyful shouts, pattering feet, and childish songs unwelcome noise at all. 




















16 comments:

  1. lovely words, lady. she's just the cutest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are stunning, and I totally understand what you mean! All of these pictures are so precious! Little kiddoes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww I love this so much!! Great pictures! So, so, so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. she is so cutie, cute, cute! loved the way you said, 'patter of feet' i was like, you heard it too? omigoodness! take care, girly!

    [ my lil mud boots ]

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I love your writing, it is wonderful! I know what you mean, I'm the youngest of six. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh, love this. Your writing is gorgeous, and your pictures are stunning. :) Kids are such joys in everyone's life. Or, at least, they should be. :)

    -alison

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! How sweet... yes, the sounds of little feet, little hands, and little voices can be so charming and dear. ;)
    *hugs*
    ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! How sweet! Yes, the little hands, feet, and voice can be so charming and dear... and true treasure to cherish!

    *hugs*
    ~Shannon~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post! These pictures are so, so sweet, and I absolutely loved what you had to say. ;-) I can completely relate as I am a sister to nine other "little ones" (which, yes, includes deliberate stompers, cheerio spillers, and treasure finders), and though they are SUCH a joy, sometimes I need to be reminded of what a BLESSING they really are. This did just that. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So adorable! Loving her little curls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tell you, It's nice to see pictures now and then. Keep up the good work. Memories is something people can never take away from us.
    Kenneth<><

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mikailah..
    Im so blessed that you see the value of the Littles and don't see them as a nuisance as some young ladies your age would. Wonderful pictures and words to cherish.

    Love you and am so proud of you..
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  13. this? this is precious. ah. really. love love love.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting, and sharing some love. ♥