9.09.2013

for you, wherever you are.


i used to want your life;
you seemed to have it
all together.
perfectly.
some say all of life
is a puzzle, and the
truth of the statement
breathes in every crack
and crevice of my being,
but yours never seemed
cracked.
everything was solid
about it; your dreams,
your living, and you
were sure of yourself.
which is something i never was.
but now i see how many times
words only scrape the surface
of the soul.
they hide it so we
can't see the darkest,
loneliest crevices that hide tears.
we can't see behind the
smiles that hide a deep
abiding weariness that
releases it's pent up emotions
with the severity and sorrow
of a winter storm
on your pillow at night.
alone.
i wonder why i always
assume that what we see on
the surface is the real you.
i learned the truth about the
ocean a long time ago.
how on the surface, floats the
seaweed; the tiny particles
of sand that cling to the sunlight,
and the green moss that swirls
around your ankles.
only when you brave the waters,
jumping deep, with the water
splashing your skin clean,
can you see the depth
behind the mirage of
nothingness.
and it's true with you too,
isn't it?
only it isn't quite so simple.
but this i know.
you are just like us.
you hide your pain; why
i don't know. i wonder why
your eyes are empty at eight o'clock,
noon, and six; why
you look up eagerly, your eyes
hungry, whenever the door opens.
perhaps no one will never know.
but someone notices when
your thoughts are miles away,
and when your smile doesn't
reach your eyes.
you think no one notices, but they do.
maybe you don't mean to hide,
but i think it's a natural reflex.
we hide to protect ourselves;
the fragility of our sanity,
the sensitivity of our souls,
the haven of our minds.
because hiding is easier
than taking that chance.
whatever it is.
but take a chance.
don't hesitate to love.
trust. love. believe. live.
life is too short to be caught up
in fears of failure, and too special
to be alone, even if it is only
in your mind.
take the plunge, step off the cliff,
make the jump, open your heart.
just do it.
you don't want to be alone,
i know. no one does.
the haven of your mind
may be cracked open, and shared
with a listening heart,
and some of your pain may
pour out and melt away as it is
combined with the love of another.
people will break your heart,
events will change your life,
you will get hurt.
but don't let that make you afraid-
because, i promise,
loving will be worth it.
someday.

////////////////////////////

maybe this is written for you, maybe it's written for a person i've never met. but i know one thing. it is for someone. 

11 comments:

  1. your words, your writing. beautiful. lovely. real. honest. LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. this is...written for me, to be honest. thank you, Mikailah. I really needed this today. ♥
    xx, Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gives me chills, love. You wrote this in a thought pprovoking way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. katie stole the words out of my mouth, this gave me chills. especially the last part,
    you will get hurt.
    but don't let that make you afraid-
    because, i promise,
    loving will be worth it.
    someday.

    that hit a chord in my heart. sometimes i look around and see so many broken hearts and marriages, especially in the middle aged group. and sometimes i can't help wondering if love is really worth it- is it worth the happy first couple of years if the love is going to slowly die out. but i keep having to remind myself that "to love is to be vunerable", and if love is completely built in Christ- it cannot fail.
    thank you for writing this, dearie. i feel as though you wrote it for me.
    also, that shot is FABULOUS. like seriously, there is such a deep vibe in it. it's vulnerable, real, and something about it grips me deeply. it's just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Chills. It's so true. What is on top isn't always the real you. =) Utterly beautiful, raw shot, and your words? You are a writer. Definitely.

    -ali

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was beautiful. And that was for me. I wish I was that person who always had it put together. Sometimes I feel like I could crops the ocean a never even come close to that person. And today was definitely one if those days.
    I agree with Bailey I needed that today.

    -Adryanna-

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is beautiful. it made me think of a few people i know. and ultimately myself..

    lizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. woah. I was captivated by every word. this is so meaningful to me! excuse me while I go write this poem down and tape it on my bedroom wall!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. I am at a loss for words.

    http://orangeclosetdoors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. mikailah, i'm sitting here with tears in my eyes because this is me. with a few simple words you wrote my whole soul and every thought that comes tumbling into my mind at times but I can't seem to make anything out of them. this is beautiful and raw and amazing. you are amazing, my sweet friend. love you lots. xx

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting, and sharing some love. ♥